Friday, April 17, 2009

Last night was the Boy Scout cake auction. All the scouts in Ethan's den/pack were suppose to make a cake, with the help of an adult of course. He and I looked through a cookbook and the Family Fun website for ideas, and of all the cakes we saw he was taken with the butterfly cake on FF the most. I was surprised he chose a butterfly cake, but I was more than happy to help him out. He said he wanted it to be a monarch butterfly, because that is his favorite. Just when I think I know this kid and his likes and dislikes.

Anyway, we made the cake. His job was to help me mix the food coloring in the frosting so we could get orange. Here is the before shot. Basically its a round chocolate cake cut in half for the wings, and two Twinkies for the body.And here is the after shot. The brown is chocolate frosting. I used a Ziploc bag with a little hole cut in the corner to draw on the veins on the wings and outline the wing and do the antenna. The white dots are white Jelly Bellies.I thought it was pretty clever, and I had fun making it with Ethan. I thought that it would do better at the cake auction, especially since Ethan did a GREAT job holding it up for everyone to see. He was a regular Vanna White, which is a little weird to be saying about your son. I guess I just really appreciated his enthusiasm. In the end, it only went for like $6. The cakes that went for the most money, like $15-$20 were piled with candy and toy cars. I guess boys just don't get that excited about butterflies. So next year this is what I am going to do: I'm just going to bake a cake and dump a bunch of candy and cars on it.

1 comment:

Pezlady Jana said...

haha Funny! I love the cake and I would've paid a TON for it!! good job Ethan and Gretchen!!